}

2 January 1991

Practicing The Power of Now (Eckhart Tolle)

  • The beginning of freedom is the realisation that you are not the "thinker." The moment you start watching the thinker, a higher level of consciousness becomes activated. You then begin to realise that there is a vast realm of intelligence beyond thought, that thought is only a tiny aspect of that intelligence. You also begin to realise that all the things that truly matter - beauty, love, creativity, joy, inner peace - arise from beyond the mind. You begin to awaken.
  • When you surrender to what is and so become fully present, the past ceases to have any power. The realm of Being, which has been obscured by the mind, then opens up. Suddenly a great stillness aries within you, an unfathomable sense of peace. And within that peace, there is great joy. And within that joy, there is love. And at the innermost core, there is the sacred and immeasurable, That which cannot be named.
.
First principles

  • I am not my mind (thoughts or emotions) or my body. I am the observing presence. I am the silent witness. I am the Being beneath.
  • I am not my successes or failures. I enjoy creating new circumstances but I do not get my sense of worth from them. I do not identify with them. They are not who I am.

Being the Watcher
  • I am present as the watcher of my mind - my thoughts, emotions and reactions - without judging or analysing. I feel the still, observing presence.
  • I go beneath and "watch the thinker" without judgement. One day I will catch myself smiling at the voice in my head, as I would the antics of a small child.
  • I sink into the gaps between thoughts to experience stillness and peace.
  • I take routine activities and give them my full attention - being totally present. This is called Mindfulness.
  • What is going on within me at this moment? I watch my emotions, feeling their energy, without analysing or judging them.
  • I am not my mind so being right or wrong makes no difference. I let go of aggressiveness and defensiveness.
  • I take my attention off the past and the present. I step into the Now.
  • I sense my senses fully inside and out. I am where I am. I see, feel, hear. I feel the energy within me.
  • I focus on the process, not the result. I give full attention to the action, the fruit will follow of its own accord.
  • I regularly monitor my mental and emotional state. Am I at ease in this moment? If I feel unease, in what way am I avoiding, resisting or denying life by denying the now?
  • I die to the future and past. I ask "What problem do I have right now?" Not next year, tomorrow or in 5 minutes time. What is wrong with this moment? If I can and choose to act, I do. If not, I surrender fully.
  • I give up "waiting"`as a state of mind. I come into the present and enjoy being. I am grateful for the present and the fullness of life right now.
  • I act now if I can and choose to. If not, I surrender to what is.
  • I always keep some of my attention in the energy field of my body. I feel my body from within. This helps keep me present. I always feel the stillness inside. I keep the portal open in all I do. Always staying rooted within.
  • When I need an answer, a solution or creative idea, I stop thinking for a moment and become focused on my inner energy field. I become aware of the stillness. In thought, I go back every few minutes between thinking and stillness. This keeps my mind fresh and creative.

Surrender
  • I yield to the flow of life, I do not oppose it. I accept the present moment unconditionally for what it is. I do not resist it. Can I act? Do I choose to? Then I act calmly. If not, I surrender fully.
  • In the state of surrender, I see clearly what needs to be done. I take action, focusing on one thing at a time. Calmly and in the now.
  • I surrender to the ebbs of life. Ebbs are needed for new growth to happen. One cycle cannot exist without the other.
  • I become transparent to the cause of negative reactions. I let irritations (e.g. noise) pass through me.
  • If I am not feeling at peace, I accept my "non peace." Anything I accept fully will take me into peace. This is the miracle of surrender.

The Result
  • Beauty arises in the stillness of one's presence.
  • A higher level of consciousness is awakened. I get in touch with the vast realm of intelligence beyond thought.
  • The litmus test for being in the Now: Is there joy, ease, peace and lightness in what I am doing?
  • To offer no resistance to life is to be in a state of grace, ease and lightness. This state is no longer dependant upon things being in a certain way, good or bad.

Other
  • Become more patient. Patience adds a dimension of ease and acceptance to your life. Being patient involves opening your heart to the present moment, even if you don't like it. Practice patience. Say "Ok, for the next five minutes I won't allow myself to be bothered by anything. I'll be patient. Richard Carlson
  • Do one thing at a time. Block out periods of time where you commit to doing one thing at a time. Be present in what you are doing. Concentrate. Be in the moment. Even the mundane can become enjoyable. And you'll be amazed how quickly and efficiently you'll get things done. Richard Carlson
  • Yesterday's the past and tomorrow's the future. Today is a gift - which is why they call it the present. Bill Keane
  • I try to learn from the past, but I plan for the future by focusing exclusively on the present. That's where the fun is. Donald Trump
  • The fool, with all his other faults, has this also, he is always getting ready to live. Epicurus

0 comments:

Clicky