}

14 February 2002

Mum and Mike's wedding




My toast to Mum and Mike on their wedding day

It is my great pleasure to propose the toast today to Mum and Mike.

Before I do that, I’d just like to say how absolutely thrilled and delighted we all are that two such special people have found such happiness together.

Ally, and I have been living in London for the past year so we haven't spent as much time with mum and Mike as we'd like but something that has struck us time and time again, whenever we visit Cape Town, is how much they adore each other and how much fun they have together as a couple.

Whether Mum and Mike are gallivanting along Blouberg beach on a blustery Sunday morning, going off on a romantic weekend to Stellenbosch, shouting their support for the South African cricket team or just having a quiet evening at home, they clearly share a zest for life and for each other and it warms my heart to see.

I've always had a very soft spot for Mike. I remember when I was 9 years old, I suddenly became madly passionate about collecting stamps. Mike invited me round to see his collection - he was a serious collector in those days - and as we flipped through his album, he suddenly reached in and took out a stamp and gave it to me as a spontaneous gift.

I clearly remember being very excited because the stamp had a bust of Queen Victoria on it - not that Queen Victoria's bust was much to look at! - but it meant the stamp was over a hundred years old which seemed mind-bogglingly old to me at the time and really caught my young imagination. 22 years later, I still have that stamp and I still treasure the childhood memories attached to it.

It's been wonderful getting to know Mike and to discover just how special he is.
I love that he's always got a twinkle in his eye and he's always got a fascinating story to tell. I also love his sense of humour - when you're with Mike, you always know you'll get to enjoy a good hearty chuckle about something or other.

Another thing I love about Mike are his passions - like his passion for sport, which I must say is fast rubbing off on mum, although she is not quite yet at the stage of leaping excitedly out of bed at 4 am in the morning to watch the cricket on TV.

Then there is his love for fishing on the Breede River, and his love for collecting antiques and china and paintings and mementos - in fact you name it, I think Mike collects it!

I was amazed to discover that Mike owns every single National Geographic since 1951 or something! Mum took one look at this lot and banished them to the garage where they now take up a whole wall and a half of space. I reckon the reason Mike promptly sold his big Merc and got a zooty Toyota was so he could fit his car amongst the magazines!

Its fitting that Mike is such a special chap because he has found in my mum, a very, very, special partner.

She is simply the most generous and caring and person I know, which is undoubtedly a quality she has inherited from her own mum. She is always there for her friends and family, always thinking of others, always ready, at the drop of a hat, to give of her time and energy to help someone.

And no matter what comes her way in life, she always remains the same - optimistic, full of life and down to earth.

Mum has been an absolute treasure to Jo and me, always encouraging us to follow our own dreams and do what makes us happy. She has also been the most amazingly supportive daughter to granny and gramps during their time in Woodside Village.

And of course, she is the most wonderful Granny. I don't think there has ever been in the history of the world, a more doting and adoring granny than she is to Sam.

So all I can say is that mum deserves only the most special things that life can bring and that is one of the reasons we are so delighted that she has found a soul-mate in someone as special as Mike.

So, friends and family, I'd like to invite you to rise and join with me in toasting our special couple.
Mum and Mike, as you travel on your journey together, may your marriage be filled with love and laughter. May the most you dream for be the least you receive. May your joys be doubled and your troubles halved. And may you live as long as you wish and receive all you wish for as long as you live.

Ladies and gentlemen, to Jill and Mike!



Letter to Mike (July 2004)

Dearest Mike

I don’t know if I’ve ever expressed properly just how absolutely thrilled and blessed I feel to have you as part of my family.

You’ve brought so many blessings to us all:

It warms my heart to see how much you and mum adore each other, and the support and warmth that you bring to each others lives - and also how much fun you obviously have together. It’s been fantastic to see mum find such happiness and fulfillment with such a special person as you.

It warms my heart too, to think of the constant support that you gave gran and gramps and your mum during their tough times at the end. You and mum were a veritable life force to them and made all the difference at a time when they needed you most.

It warms my heart too, when I see what a wonderful grandpa you are to Matthew and Sam – and how they gravitate to your warmth and solidness and sense of fun. They are so very, very lucky to to have you in their lives, now and as they grow up.

It also warms my heart to see how much Jo adores you too – and how much fun you and Anthony have with your shared passions and your shared sense of humour.

And it warms my heart also, to know that you are there for me and Ally too. I know that if ever there is a problem or I need advice or re-assurance, I have only to pick up the phone. Your warmth and your wisdom are so very appreciated.

Obviously, it saddens me that we see you guys so seldom and we do miss you and mum very much. We so look forward to spending more quality time with you in Cambridge during your visit and can’t wait to have you and mum to stay with us in Australia.

Love Graemefx

0 comments:

Clicky