}

6 January 2003

Matthew - childhood years



Letter (May 2014)

Dear Matt

I am now back in Sydney and missing you guys an awful lot.  As always, it was so wonderful to spend time with you and laugh, do fun things and go on adventures.   Thank you for making my time in Cape Town so special. You've given me so many special memories that I will always treasure.

I've written down some of my favourite memories from our 7 weeks together so I never forget them.  I thought you might like to read them too.

Here they are:

Fun outings
  • The monkeys climbing all over us at The World of Birds.  They were so cute, especially that mother with the little baby on her back.
  • Exploring the "water caves" at Boulders beach and playing "hide and seek."  You had a definite advantage over me being smaller!
  • Exploring the "dungeons" at Groot Constantia  - it was pretty scary going into the dark and getting into all those cramped places.

Adventure and Adrenaline
  • Going on the slingshot with you and Sam at Ratanga Junction. Remember, we had a competition to see who would scream first, and ended up all screaming together.
  • Going down Monkey Falls.  Man, did we get wet (especially poor me at the back!!) but it was so much fun. Apart from when our boat got all wonky on that steep climb. That was pretty freaky!
  • Going tobogganing - on the last run, I went as fast as I could, without any brakes, and you still nearly caught up with me!!

You cheeky bugger!
  • Hiding the orange juice away after I took it out of the fridge and turned my back for a second.  You made me so confused!! 
  • Having fun at that party in Elgin - and you throwing water over my head. Glad it was such a hot day!
  • Shooting me with elastic bands - I got you some good shots too!
  • You secretly taking the bullets out of your BB gun and making me aim so carefully for nothing!!  

Fun games
  • Playing with the army trucks and army men and using the match box as a missile.  What a pity you realised so soon when I put some heavy coins in my box!!
  • That "I dare you" game where we said "One Two Three" then chose a number. I'm so glad I didn't end up having to do most of the things your evil mind came up with!
  • Playing in the car with you and Sam and pushing into each other on the tight corners.
  • Shooting your BB gun at the polystyrene target and taking a step back each time we hit it. Then shooting the cans. 
  • You and Sam searching for marshmallow eggs on Easter morning.  Glad you guys found the one in the toaster!! Can't believe you wouldn't eat that one in your dad's sweaty running shoe!  In Sweden where I worked, they loved a bit of salt with their chocolate.
  • Playing Assassin's Creed -Black Flag.  It was so cool to watch you sail from island to island, attack forts, harpoon sharks, go diving, and push the odd person off the bridge.
  • Playing Assassin's Creed - Brotherhood, especially the horse riding, exploring the Colosseum and leaping  around in the underground hall.
  • Playing FIFA - even though I didn't score a goal.  Not a single one!!!
  • Playing Xbox tennis - man, that game was exhausting on my arm, even more tiring than real tennis.  We were so evenly matched.
  • Playing Table Tennis - easier on the arm but also fun.
  • Being amazed at your general knowledge, especially your knowledge of all those obscure flags, and beating people many times your age when playing the quiz game on the i-pad.
  • Downloading your Star Wars movie. Isn't Internet piracy an awesome thing!

Laugh out loud memories
  • You constantly making me laugh with your stories and jokes and witty one-liners.  You've got such an amazing, wonderful sense of humour!!  It's the best quality in the world to have.
  • Dropping the camera lens (actually a plastic cup) at Granny's with the marbles inside to make it sound like broken glass. Shame, we nearly gave her a heart attack!!
  • Your disgust at the smell of the cow poo when we went for our picnic after tobogganing.  It was pretty gross, wasn't it!  But I was too busy eating my chocolate mousse to really care.

Heart-warming memories
  • The wonderful hug you gave your mum just before she went paragliding - you warmed her heart.
  • Telling Granny you loved her when she left on her overseas trip - you warmed her heart too.

Sporty memories
  • Missing you score your hockey goal during practice (the ONE time I looked away!) and seeing you then nearly score a goal during your hockey match.
  • Doing The Two Ocean's Fun run - I so wanted to keep up with you but it didn't take more than 2 minutes to realise I didn't have a chance in hell!
  • Doing a leap together on the frame on Signal Hill - you're a great leaper, especially on such a narrow ledge!

Amazing facts
  • Looking for amazing facts together on the Internet.  And discovering there are more lifeforms living on your skin than there are people on the planet!!  A scary thought!
  • Looking for facts for your Ancient Egypt project, and being fascinated by all the awful punishments they dished out if you broke the law.  Glad we weren't alive in those days!!  Although, it would have been pretty cool to be the Pharoah.

Those are just some of my favourite memories from my latest trip to Cape Town. And there are so many, more from my other trips and times spent with you. Thank you for all of them.  You're such an amazing, wonderful guy with such an incredible sense of fun - always so great to be with and spend time with.  I love you so, so much and am so proud and happy to have you as my nephew.

Till next time!

Love and hugs,

Your uncle, Graeme


Favourite memories
  • Matthew's love of spare ribs (age 3)
  • Spending Xmas 2005 together - and Matt playing happily with his new shopping till (age 3)
  • Matt's love of all things Spiderman (age 3 - 5)
  • Trampolining together and playing all sorts of "fall down" games 
  • "You know what?"  "What?"  "Nothing!"
  • Matt collecting rugby cards (age 6 )
  • Matt's love of all things Star Wars  - including the movies themselves and his favourite computer game (age 6)
  • Picnics on Llandadno Beach whenever I visit and Matt playing with his bucket and spade
  • Matt's love of all his soft toys  (age 6)
  • Wanting to be an astronaut when he's older (age 6) 
  • Spending Xmas 2009 together - and how cute Matt looked in his red Xmas hat (age 6)
  • Matt's 7th birthday party with the water slide - how fun it was! (age 7)
  • Playing Marco Polo in the pool (age 7)
  • Tobogganing together - with our arms outstretched as we reached the end (age 7)
  • Playing Wii together and Matt beating me at baseball (age 7)
  • Matt's excitement when we visited the MTN Science Centre (age 7)
  • Watching Matt's swimming practice with his sexy swimming teacher (age 7)
  • Going on a Silvermine Hike together with the family (age 7)
  • Matt telling me the latest joke he heard at school or from his dad - he's a great joke teller (age 7)
  • Matt's stubborn streak and how I think it will serve him well in later life


Milestones


Art


Related Links


Portraits of Matthew


























With Sam




 









With his family








  





0 comments:

Clicky