}

28 May 2004

Trip to Gothenberg

The joys of Stansted

Stansted Airport at 5:15 pm on the way to Sweden… Whoever said business travel is glamorous!! The queues at airport security seem to take forever these days. I have a rigorous ritual of extracting from my pockets (item by item, before the amazed gaze of the security chap) my wallet, camera, PDA, mobile phone, iPod walkman, keys and coins. Anything to avoid being beeped and subjected to a thorough & intimate rub down by a burly guard. If only they'd hire pretty lady guards to do the patting down, I wouldn't mind so much.



Nice work if you can get it...

Our conference in Sweden was held at a stunning sea side resort. Here is the view from my room (full suite)- my job sure does have its perks!! I knew it would be nice just from looking at its web site before I went. It was a two day affair & we arrived early on Wednesday and left Thursday after lunch.


Cheating!
In the evenings, we did some fun events. Here we are on a Swedish invention called a "quiz hike" where you follow a map through the wilderness and have to answer fun trivia questions posted to trees. The team with the most correct answers won a prize. Not too difficult when you have a mobile phone and can call your other halves to look up the answers on the internet. We weren't the only team to do it!! It's amazing what Google can help with these days.


Sail away!
This is one of the photos I took on the "quiz hike" The sea was a beautiful colour and looked more like a lake, it was so calm. The Swedes love to sail and I'm not surprised with a beautiful and peaceful coastline like theirs to enjoy. I look forward to doing some ferry island hopping here in summer when I get some time at the tail end of a trip.


Meet Caroline!
Here's Caroline who organized the conference. We spent all of last year rolling out web sites across the world under immense pressures and became really good friends. She is from Sweden but spent last year in Cambridge on assignment. This year she has returned to Sweden so I don't get to see her much. She and her hubby are coming to stay with us in Cambridge for a long weekend in July so that should be fun.


The Lipstick Building
I returned to Gothenberg and spent the afternoon with our suppliers. They are situated in a rather extraordinary looking building which has been nicknamed "The Lipstick building" because that is what it looks like from a distance.


Lazing in the park

My plane back to UK only left at 9:30 pm so I went to relax in the park for a couple of hours after my meetings. I had a gigantic hamburger next to the lake then lazed on the grass. I'm starting to look forward to Prague. I've only got a half day tomorrow (although it's going to be frenetic) and then we're off for 4 days.






Zzzzz!

It's a tough life here in Gothenberg! I had to set my alarm to make sure I woke up and got the taxi to the airport on time.


0 comments:

Clicky