}

13 June 2004

Caroline comes to visit...

What a great friend!

Caroline visited us this weekend from Sweden which was a real treat. She arrived on Friday and left Sunday evening. She's wonderful fun and gave us a great excuse to get out a bit over the weekend and not get totally bogged down in Ally's HR annual plan which has to be in on Tuesday.


Granchester

This is why I adore Cambridge - what heritage, what culture we have on our doorstep! Granchester is a famous orchard in Cambridge where people have been having tea since 1868. In fact, over the years, more famous people have taken tea here than anywhere else in the world. E.M Forster, Rupert Brooke, Virginia Woolf, Bertrand Russel, Maynard Keynes - they all loved this place.

Ruper Brooke's poem "The old vicarage, Granchester", immortalises the afternoon tea in the orchard with lines like: "Stand the church clock at ten to three. And is there honey still for tea?"


Breakfast on the Balcony

We ate very well this weekend. Ally sent Caroline and me off to the shops on Saturday morning to buy a spot of lunch but that's always dangerous because we both love shopping. So we arrived back laden under bags of DVD's and CD's and at least a week's worth of food.

In Prague, on the spur of the moment, I decided I would go on a sugar diet for the month of June (only allowed natural sugars, no chocolate or ice cream etc.) I did this cause I realised i am addicted to sugar and that's it's probably not to healthy. God, it was hell for the first three days!!

I had a crazy craving for meringue and felt pretty grim. Now it's fine though, and I must say I have noticed a nice stabilising in my energy levels. Still, I can't wait for my reward at the end of the month - a big slab of chocolate is what I've promised myself!!!


La Tasca

On Saturday evening, we went La Tasca, to a great restaurant with Caroline in Cambridge that serves Spanish food. You get to order lots of little courses and then mix and match. Great dishes with exotic spanish names that the waiters know and no-one else can pronounce. The restaurant is very popular with a great vibe and is worth visiting if you are in Cambridge.

0 comments:

Clicky