}

6 August 2004

Trip to Salzberg

Good Bavarian beer

On Wednesday night I flew to Salzburg in Austria. On arriving, I met some colleagues at a local beer garden. What a great invention - drinking your beer in the fresh air without cigarette smoke everywhere. The guy on the right is Andreas, a colleague of mine from Duxford - a great chap with the most infectious laugh you ever heard. He's just completed a triathlon in London (which I wimped out of!) and he's getting married in just over a week. Peter on the left is the IT manager of the Austrian dealership - the chap who we came to see about CRM (customer relationship management!!)


The hills are alive

After a very full day on Thursday, i escaped into the hills above Salzburg. What a beautiful city! I was here earlier this year in the winter and loved it then too. This is where Mozart was born. It's got beautiful mountains and high hills everywhere which i really miss in the UK. Lots of lovely old buildings too.


City View

The castle on the hill in the background forms a lovely backdrop to the city. It's a relatively small place - only 150 000 people. I always love to see a city from high to get perspective. It's also enlightening to watch all the people rushing around, heads down, frantically busy, busy, busy - and realise that I'm one of them most of the time too...


The Cathedral

Salzberg's most imposing cathedral.


Through the foliage

I took this photos because I liked the way the foliage framed the shot. I'm back to my small "snapper camera" which is lovely and compact but I do miss the bells and whistles of the Volvo camera I had over the weekend.


Another tree

Well, as you may have gathered from previous blogs, I love trees - and photographing them. Problem is they never come out as beautiful in a photo as in real life. I really liked this one, growing with gnarled roots on top of a very old man made wall. Must have been built a very long time ago based on the height of the tree.


From the lion's mouth

This is why I love Europe. This little water fountain was tucked away in the hills in the midle of nowhere. Sprouting gorgeous drinking waters. It's little touches like this that give Europe its special flavour.


Yes, that is snow you see!


Here is a photo of me in Salzberg earlier this year. I came out to do training for all the internet editors of the "Bavarian region" and it was a multicultural fest. In my class, there was an Austrian, a German, a Croatian, a Slovakian, a Hungarian, a Czech and a Swede! Six languages between them and not a whole lot of English... An interesting challenge but it actually went really well and was a lot of fun.


0 comments:

Clicky