}

11 May 2006

Arequipa

Arequipa is Peru´s second-largest city and being not very fond of large cities, I had no great expectations. My mistake. It is a delightful place, not least as it is home to a restaurant that serves gorgeous Argentianian steaks.

It also is scenically beautiful, standing at the foot of the snow-capped volcano El Misti.

Arequipa also has many fine colonial-era Spanish buildings built of sillar, a pearly white volcanic rock used extensively in the construction of the city, from which it gets its nickname La Ciudad Blanca ("the white city").

Here is a photo of El Misti, the Volcano. I could have climbed this 5800 metre mountain but felt too lazy. We opted to descend into the world's deepest canyon instead.


Arequipa is home to the greatest multitude of little yellow taxis I have ever seen in one place.


The view from our hostel roof (not bad!)


The town square at night. We walked the square (and the city) looking for laces for my boots. No-one stocked them, not even shoe stores (we visited at least 10)! I would have paid a small fortune for them by the end. Found them eventually and couldhave kissed the store owner. I hugged him instead.

1 comments:

Luis said...

hi, I love the images you show. Makes me proud to be Peruvian!!!!!

luis
luiscolan.blogspot.com

Clicky