}

7 November 2007

Life is precious

It was with great sadness that we heard today that Doug's mum passed away after her battle with cancer. She was a vibrant, sunny person who always had a sparkle in her eye and we thought she was absolutely wonderful. We'll always remember the time we went yachting with her and the family, the hospitality she showed us by having us over for Xmas dinner in 2006 and the delicious breakfast we shared with her on Mother's Day 2007. Her warmth was such that in many ways, it felt like she was our mum away from home. It's so sad that she has passed away so young and our thoughts are with Doug and his wonderful family.

It's made me think about how precious life is. It's also reminded me of a lovely poem I first heard when Dad passed away.

Do not stand at my grave and weep
I am not there; I do not sleep.
I am a thousand winds that blow,
I am the diamond glints on snow,
I am the sun on ripened grain,
I am the gentle autumn rain.
When you awaken in the morning's hush
I am the swift uplifting rush
Of quiet birds in circled flight.
I am the soft stars that shine at night.
Do not stand at my grave and cry,
I am not there; I did not die.

0 comments:

Clicky