}

2 January 1991

The beauty and wonder of Art

  • The aim off art is to represent not the outward appearance of things, but their inward significance. Aristotle
  • Art flourishes where there is a sense of adventure. Alfred North Whitehead
  • Art is not the bread, but the wine of life. John Paul Richter
  • Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once he grows up. Pablo Ruiz y Picasso
  • There are three forms of visual art: Painting is art to look at, sculpture is art you can walk around, and architecture is art you can walk through. Dan Rice
  • He who works with his hands is a labourer. He who works with his hands and his head is a craftsman. He who works with his hands and his head and his heart is an artist. St Fancis of Assisi

Nature as an inspiration for Art
  • Art is like a border of flowers along the course of civilisation. Lincoln Steffens
  • Nature is not only all that is visible to the eye -- it also includes the inner pictures of the soul. Edvard Munch
  • Art takes nature as its model. Aristotle
  • All art is but imitation of nature. Seneca

Expression through art
  • I found I could say things with colour and shapes that I couldn't say any other way -- things I had no words for. Georgia O'Keeffe
  • When the subject is strong, simplicity is the only way to treat it. Jacob Lawrence
  • The aim off art is to represent not the outward appearance of things, but their inward significance. Aristotle

Poetry
  • Poetry is not the assertion of truth, but the making of that truth more fully real to us. T.S. Eliot

Painting
  • I want to touch people with my art. I want them to say 'he feels deeply, he feels tenderly.' Vincent Van Gogh
  • I often think the night is more alive and more richly coloured than the day. Vincent Van Gogh
  • The richness I achieve comes from Nature, the source of my inspiration. Claude Monet
  • Colour in a picture is like enthusiasm in life. Vincent Van Gogh
  • The emotions are sometimes so strong that I work without knowing it. The strokes come like speech. Vincent Van Gogh
  • People call me the painter of dancers, but I really wish to capture movement itself. Edgar Degas
  • I feel as though I haven't seem an object until I actually start painting it. Janet Fish

Photography
  • Both the grand and the intimate aspects of nature can be revealed in the expressive photograph. Both can stir enduring affirmations and discoveries, and can surely help the spectator in his search for identification with the vast world of natural beauty and the wonder surrounding him. Ansel Adams
  • A room hung with pictures is a room hung with thoughts. Sir Joshua Reynolds

Cinema
  • The cinema has no boundary; it is a ribbon of dream. Orson Welles
  • Cinema should make you forget you are sitting in a theater. Roman Polanski
  • Drama is life with the dull bits cut out. Alfred Hitchcock
  • Fiction reveals truths that reality obscures. Jessamyn West
  • [M]ovie-making is the process of turning money into light. All they have at the end of the day is images flickering on a wall. John Boorman, Money into Light, 1985

0 comments:

Clicky