}

16 November 2012

A close shave

I had 20 minutes to get to the camp before the gates closed for the evening (and I didn't want to arrive late and get fined, as they do in the Kruger) when I came across this formidable character.  It had just knocked a tree over part of the road and was munching on its leaves.  When I edged forward to try to pass, it stopped eating and glared at me. I edged forward in another attempt, and this time its glare was even fiercer and its ears flapped, a sure sign of aggression.  I've never felt so indecisive in my life!  I could have reversed my route, but that would have taken over an hour to drive.  After much gnashing of teeth, I reminded myself that fortune favours the brave and I went for it, making it past the bull - to it's considerable annoyance. I could swear it feigned at me with it's tusks as I past, but I can't be sure as I was too  busy accelerating.

All the time this happened, I kept wondering what the insurance company of my rental car would say about a tusk wound through the right rear door.  Thankfully, I didn't need to find out!

Needless to say, I took a photo of the elephant for memory's sake.  Doesn't it look scary?



Since returning home, I've discovered that several motorists in The Kruger were not as lucky.  If I'd known at the time, I might not have been so assertive!  Here are some photos of past encounters.





And some You-Tube videos of close encounters!




1 comments:

Cinema com Ana Rodrigues said...

Scary and fantastic pics and videos !

Clicky