}

9 November 2012

Leopard in The Kruger

I desperately wanted to photograph a leopard (my favourite animal) during my time in the Kruger but after 3 weeks, I started to lose hope.  My only sighting had been a teasing tail disappearing into the bush.

Then during a drive in a secluded part of the park, I saw the faint shape of a leopard lying under a tree.  I resolved to wait for him to show himself, no matter how long it took.  

Three and a half hours later, my resolve was slipping as I had to get back to camp by dusk.

Then, without warning, he stood up, stretched and yawned. And then walked slowly and languidly in my direction. Closer and closer. Until he was inches from my car window, too close to even photograph.  And he looked straight at me, and I felt a sense of connection with him so deep and profound that I was in ecstasy and tears at the same time. It probably didn't last more than a few seconds, but it seemed to last for ages.

Then he stretched again and preened and walked to the opposite side of the car into beautiful light, then disappeared back into the bushes, leaving me with a feeling of gratitude and wonder that I still haven't lost in the two weeks since I've been home.

Of all the beautiful animals I saw and photographed in the Kruger, this was the undoubted highlight.








0 comments:

Clicky