}

2 March 1989

Practicing the Alexander Technique

Background

I was motivated to practice the Alexander Technique due to pain in my back and neck, caused by poor posture and bodily tension.

The Alexander Technique involves being peripherally aware in the midst of every movement of the body to minimise effort and tensing of the body.  It had a profound and lasting effect on me.  

My teacher was a beautiful, calm woman who embodied what she taught.  We practiced at her house in Newlands and often used her lovely garden.  I have vivid memories of performing various actions (walking, sitting, lying, opening a door) and she would instruct in a gentle hands on way.


How The Alexander Technique inspired and influenced me 

  • The Alexander Technique directly influenced my "calmness mantra" which become something I repeated countless times until it osmosed into my being. I still use this mantra on a regular basis. You can read the mantra below.
  • The Alexander Technique inspired my increasing interest in spirituality and meditation - inspiring me to do a TM meditation course and read spiritual books. It also inspired my later interest in Tai Chi.
  • During my Old Mutual years, I practiced a form of self developed meditative motion inspired by The Alexander Technique. It involved a series of effortless movements done in a state of deep awareness, often to music.
  • The Alexander Technique inspired the principle of "spaciousness" that formally emerged around 2013 and is now one of the three cornerstones of my spiritual journey (Presence, Surrender, Spaciousness). Spaciousness is all about remaining open and relaxed in the midst of all experience, including uncomfortable sensations and emotion in the body.
  • The Alexander Technique was my informal introduction to Presence (being in a state of awareness in the midst of activity).


Insights gained by learning and practising The Alexander Technique

  • Where we instinctively tense up, we can learn to let go and loosen.
  • End-goaling and striving is counter-productive. When we relax into our natural state, we become far more effective and happy.
  • If you want to see perfect posture, watch a very young child.
  • The head and neck should be relaxed. Imagine a string with a helium balloon hitched to the back of your head, pulling your head and posture very gently up.
  • The traditional shoulders back, chest out, back straight instruction for posture is counter-productive. The shoulders should be relaxed and the back should be allowed to rest in it's natural curve. 
  • Rush not. Take your time.
  • The power of doing everything in a state of open awareness.


My Calmness Mantra (inspired by The Alexander Technique)

  • Effortless in mind and body, I nurture and inmost calm in all I do.
  • I flow with the journey, letting it unfold with time.
  • I act where I can, then allow all to flow.
  • I am relaxed and centred, letting nothing phase me.
  • Rush not, I take my time. Strive not, I let it happen. Grasp not, I let go. 
  • I live a relaxed stroll, letting nothing phase.
  • Supported below, each movement is a change to release.

0 comments:

Clicky