}

1 January 1991

The Great Mystery

  • In music, in the sea, in a flower, in a leaf, in an act of kindness...  I see what people call God in all these things.  Pablo Casals
  • "How do you know," a Bedouin asked, "that there is a God?" "In the same way," his friend replied. "that I know, on looking at the sand, when a man or beast has crossed the desert - by his footprints in the world around me."  Henry Parry Liddon

Footprints   (inspired by the quotes above)

   Through the loving ways that people connect;
   laughter between friends, a couple holding hands,
   the generosity of a stranger, the smile of a child
   Through the gift of knowing I am enough, no matter what
   Through my highest thoughts, my truest words, my kindests deeds
   Through the wonders of sunsets and mountains, ocean waves, dolphins and daffodils
   Through the uplifting beauty of music, art and poetry
   Through the infiniteness of time and space and the intricacies of atoms and less
   Through the mighty power of silence and the peace that stillness brings
   Through these things,
   I see the footprints of a benevolent Mystery unfolding
   and I look out into the vast night sky
   and I smile at the stars and the moon
   content in the knowledge
   that the universe smiles back

0 comments:

Clicky